Tuesday, June 29, 2010

I'll Admit

Doesn't it just feel good to admit that you're not perfect sometimes?

I think so many of us (myself included), spend so much time and energy trying to convince ourselves and others that we are perfect parents, and that we always make the best possible choices for our children.

Today I am going to admit that I am not a perfect parent.

I'll Admit....

* I don't and can't always make equal and quality time to spend with each of my children. I don't like this, but it's the way things sometimes are.

* I have not had much time to spend lately working with Brady on his kindergarten readiness book, or with Logan on his Hooked on Phonics program. "Homeschooling" like this is nearly impossible for me with 3 little ones around.

* I only bathe my boys 1-2 times a week, unless they get dirty playing outside or start to stink :).

* Brady and Logan watch PBS while I shower in the mornings most days. What's wrong with a little Sesame Street or Clifford the big red dog? Marshall also watched a few minutes of Baby Einstein once :).

* I have been very laid back with potty training Logan. We've been working on it for 2 months now, and it is still very rare for Logan to stay dry all day long. I am busy and potty training just doesn't always fit into our schedule.

* I occasionally take naps in the afternoon while the littlest 2 are napping, leaving Brady to entertain himself. He's great at keeping quiet playing with cars, cards, or blocks!

* Marshall is 3 1/2 months old now and I still haven't gotten him on a twice a day nap schedule yet--like I swore I would. However, he usually sleeps in until 9-10am, and he always naps in the afternoon....so, maybe he doesn't need 2 naps a day right now.

* Most mornings I don't get Brady and Logan out of their room until at least 8:30. Sometimes 9.

* I don't let Brady and Logan leave their room in the mornings until the room is completely clean and their beds are made neatly.

* I can't stand moving from downstairs to upstairs or vice versa without first picking up any messes that we've made---even if we are coming right back.

* Some days I don't decide what's for dinner until 5pm.

* I have an irrational fear of my children choking on food (probably because I have seen both of them choke too many times).

* Sometimes I secretly throw away Brady and Logan's artwork from church and school (that stuff really adds up!).

* I don't understand parents who let their children smear their dinner on their clothes, face, and hair. How does this teach children to feed themselves? Also, my kids both learned to feed themselves just fine without making a huge mess in the process.

I have TONS more of these that I could share, but I'll save them for another time.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Molly--you are a great mom! I admire and respect you a lot for all you do!! You have been there for me so much as I have been a new mom this past 3 months! All I have to say is you are GREAT!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a regular, normal, perfect existence to me. :)
You are raising 3 happy, healthy boys and that right there proves that you are doing something right.
Great post!