Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Bible Study

I am beginning a new bible study tonight and I am very excited about it.
For the past 2 years I have been involved in Precept studies at our church on Tuesday nights. Our most recent Precept study was on the book of Revelation and there were still 2 more sessions to complete. I was looking forward to studying Revelation again this fall, but unfortunately the class was moved to Wednesday nights, which just doesn't work for our family.

Laura and I did a little searching, however, and found another Tuesday night bible study. This study is a Beth Moore study called "Breaking Free-Making Liberty in Christ a Reality in Life." I had to miss last week's study due to my CE class, but Laura said it was great, and luckily it was just an introduction. This week I have worked hard on the first lesson and I am ready to learn all that God has to teach me!

Another reason that I am excited about the class is that a friend of mine from church will be leading this study at her house. She is a teacher by profession and I have been in several of her Sunday school classes as well. I really value her as a teacher and I know she will do an excellent job leading this study as well. We are also in a small class this fall, with only 6 gals, which I think will make this study so personal for us all. I really can't wait!
Plus, Amy (our great teacher) will be leading our study in her newly finished basement, with nice big comfy couches to sit on.

I really think it is so important for Christians to be involved in a bible study of some sort. Whether it be a woman's study, a men's study, a couple's study or small group, a Sunday school class, or a personal study at home, I think it is important that we spend some quality time in God's word every day. The sermons that we hear at church each week can be very encouraging and meaningful, but there seems to be too much of a tendency to walk out the door and forget what we heard. When we are looking in God's word with our own eyes each day, we can learn so much more and have it affect us in a much more personal way.

I have also realized how terrible I am on my own. We finished up our last study in May, and I am pretty certain that my "bible study" bible was not moved until last week, when I began working on this new study. I know that I cannot do this on my own (I am in no way motivated enough to be as consistent as I need to be). That is why I am so thankful for the bible studies offered at our church and for the fact that Laura feels the same way as I do! It is so helpful to have your best friend study the same thing at the same time.

After the bible study tonight, I am looking forward to our trips back to Starbucks to discuss our studies and begin work on the next one as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen! I'm excited too. I definitely am lacking in the bible study department. The most important thing in the world, yet the hardest to get into. Darn Satan!! :)