Thursday, April 26, 2012

Running?

Image Detail
Isn't that shoe pretty? I wish mine were that cool!

This week I started running again. It's been 4 days in a row now, with the 5th hopefully being as soon as I am done with this post.
The first time in my life that I ran was 10 years ago, the summer of 2002. That summer I ran approximately 3 miles, 3x/week. I never fully enjoyed it, so I guess I can't really say what is motivating me to try again.

I do remember that summer well. It was a summer filled with ups and downs and lots of stress. I was in a tough and uncertain place in my life.  It was shortly after I "retired" from my favorite job--Payless, and decided that one full-time job was plenty. I also remember it being quite hot that summer, but maybe it just felt that way since I was running so much :).

I didn't run alone that summer. One of my best friends that summer ran with me, nearly every time I did. It was my Dad. I think he started running along side me to protect me from danger (you know, from being abducted, dying of a heart attack, or falling into the creek--normal stuff :). But he also did it as my friend, my Dad, and my side kick--and he was able to keep up so well, if fact I think he ran better than I did most days. I know he didn't always look forward to our runs, since I would generally go before dinner, when he was hungry, and then make him do a long stretching routine with me afterwards (one that he barely participated in, of course). But he was there, by my side, as he always has been. I remember those days well, and the special time we spent together.

Now, 10 years later, I have a strange urge to run my first race. Mid-life crisis? Maybe.
I started running on Sunday night. That night I made it 3/4 mile, followed by 1.7 miles on Monday, 1.4 miles on Tuesday, and 2.4 miles on Wednesday. I think I can do it! I think I can run a 5K (3.1 mile) race at some point this summer. Peter is also mentioning the possibility of us being on the same rely team for the first round of the Como Relays (that would be funny).

I need to give the most credit to Peter for my running motivation. He is the one who convinced me to start running 10 years ago. He also encouraged me to try it again the year we got married, in 2003. I did run a few times that year, but I just never felt the motivation to continue. Peter hasn't been able to run the way he'd like for the past couple of years due to his prematurely aging knee, but as you probably already know, running is his passion. He has taught me how to stretch, how to hydrate properly, and how to safely increase my speed and distance, so I will hopefully not get injured. I feel like I have my own personal running coach, right at home.

It feels great to feel my muscles work and ache and to feel my heart beat out of my chest. I know it is good for my body to exercise and be fit.
My first goal, however is to get some new running shoes. My current tennis shoes, named The Patriots, were purchased on Valentine's Day in 1999. I guess it's finally time for some new shoes.

Let me know if you want to run a race this summer. It would be fun to do it together!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome that you are enjoying running, but count me out! ;) Besides, you would have to scoop me off the sidewalk after the first 3 feet. HeeHee!

I do love those shoes!!!