Friday, March 5, 2010

Baby Wants Out!

Yesterday I went to the doctor for my 36 week check-up, and it would appear that this baby wants to come out soon.
With the two bouts of early contractions that I've had, at 30 weeks and again at 34 weeks, I wasn't completely surprised by this news.
I was, however, really hoping to hear that nothing was going on yet and that we had another 4 weeks to prepare for this baby.

This was the news instead, though.
My doctor told me yesterday that I am dilated to 2 cm. She wants to see me next Thursday for my 37 week appointment, and then she'll make a decision about having a scheduled induction. She basically said that if nothing has changed in the next week, then we'll go for another week. But, if I've dilated further or made any other further progress toward labor, then we will tentatively schedule an induction for Sunday, March 14. Wow, that just sounds way too soon!

You may wonder why an induction again? Well, the reasons that my doctor stated yesterday were these. I live an hour from the hospital where I'll be delivering, I have a history of very fast labors, and in March, the weather can be unpredictable.
Plus, an induction sounds very pleasing to me. This is the route I went with both of my previous labors. There is something very comforting to me about being prepared and knowing what to expect ahead of time. I do, of course, want this baby to stay inside of me for as long as possible, but inductions are completely safe for both me and the baby, so there's no reason to worry. I would also rather not deliver this baby in the car on the way up :). From the time my water broke with Logan, to the time he was actually born, was about 30 minutes! Plus, in those 30 minutes, I was nearly rushed into an emergency c-section. There's no reason to believe that this delivery will be the same, but none-the-less, I'd like to be at the hospital when I deliver.

Anyways, for now, I will just hang in there and take care of some of my "nesting."
I will keep the blog updated as to what I find out next week, or if we don't make it to next week :).

No comments: