Wednesday, January 6, 2010

BRRR It's Cold Outside!

It's January in Minnesota. Do I really need to say any more?
Even though these bitter cold temperatures creep up nearly every January, it's still hard to deal with them once they're here. BRRR.

The temperature in our garage has dropped into the 20's, our van showed a temperature of -2 this morning at 9 am, and on Saturday night, it showed a reading of -20. BRRR.

The good part:

If we set our furnace to keep the downstairs at 67 degrees, then the upstairs is usually somewhere around 75 degrees (nice and warm). Also, if we turn on the fireplace downstairs, the furnace stops running, making the upstairs a little cooler, but making the downstairs nice and toasty. So far, we haven't seen a gas bill over $50, so I think we're doing alright. I'm sure it will be creeping up this month, though.

These cold, bitter temps give me a good reason to wear warm sweats and stay in the house with my boys.

There isn't much snow when it's so cold out, and that's definitely a good thing.

Does anyone have any good suggestions of what to do in this cold, cold weather?
So far we've been napping, watching Sesame Street, organizing clothes and cleaning the boys room to prepare for the baby, trying to choose a paint color for the walls, planning and preparing dinners, and I've even managed to get my scrapbooking caught up to last June (the rest of the pictures should be coming in the mail this week).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not home much during the day, but when I am I like to bake when it's cold. Makes the house nice and warm. I'm actually thinking of attempting to learn how to make some of Mom's yummy bread recipies.

Molly said...

Yes, I actually considered stealing some of Mom's bread that I found in her freezer this morning :).