Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Time

Time is not something in which I have a lot of excess.
Days are busy and evenings are often busier.

I am trying to get a handle on this problem in the new year, but it is hard to do!

I have been working hard to tell myself that it's alright if a bed goes unmade, if the counter tops go unwiped, if the laundry piles up for a day (or remains in the dryer overnight...gasp), if dinner comes from a box or a bag, or if a few toys don't get put in their proper home each night. Life will go on and we will be OK, right?

I have learned in the past year that there are many more important things in my life besides having a clean house and perfectly balanced meals everyday.

My goals, or should I actually use the word "resolutions" for this year were as follows: 1. To plan dinner more in advance, with more variation in the foods we eat. 2. To brush and floss my teeth twice a day (as opposed to the one time I am used to). 3. To finally get caught up and stay caught up on my boys' scrapbooks. 4. To spend more time in God's word as a couple and as a family.

If you notice, I had no goals of being a better blogger, watching new television shows, or having a more tidy house. While all of these things are fine and good, I decided to pick out some things that I really felt were more important to me and to my family this year.

So far I am moving in the right direction, I think.
Peter and I began our daily devotions, using a book that we received as a wedding gift 7 1/2 years ago, but have not been through together yet. It has been great spending more time in God's word, especially since we are doing it together.

With Peter back to basketball on Wednesdays and Brady and Logan into swimming lessons on Saturday mornings, I am having to work extra hard to find the time I need to get things done around the house. But, I am working extra hard to not feel stressed about it, and to allow myself breaks from housework to enjoy my boys as often as I need to.

Looking ahead...

January is shaping up to be a busy month for us.
I go back to work this weekend, after having been off for the past 6 weeks. Uncle Mark will be accompanying Peter to swim lessons on Saturday, and then the two of them will be tackling the job of bunking Brady and Logan's beds for the first time and moving the big crib back into the room!
I am hoping to slowly begin to transition Marshall out of his room in our closet and into his new room with his big brothers. This will surely be interesting to say the least!

Then, next weekend we are having another one of our famous cousins get-togethers on Saturday, and then on Sunday, we are having Marshall's dedication at our church.

That's all for now.
I hope everyone is enjoying my least favorite month of the year.
When does it start to get warmer outside?

2 comments:

Katie said...

Great resolutions Molly! You are right... people first, then a clean house, sometimes that does have to take a back seat. You are such a great mom and wife. Excited to spend time with you all next weekend.

Anonymous said...

Sounds great to me! :) This is the year we all keep our resolutions, I can feel it!